Happy Birthday to Marilyn, who would have been eighty-five today.
There's no way I'm going to try to summarise someone who has already had over 600 books written about her - enough for me to say that for someone so neglected as a child, to have been so loving as an adult - and to have left such a legacy, is an extremely rare passage theough our strange little planet.
So, I'll leave you with some top ten Marilyn trivia:
1) She was 1947's Miss California Artichoke Queen
2) She once shared an apartment with Shelley Winters. Shelley once asked her to wash the lettuce whilst she popped out for some cigarettes. When she came back, Marilyn - not the world's greatest cook - was found scrubbing the lettuce leaves with soapy water.
3) She left most of her estate to method acting guru Lee Strasberg
4) Her last home in California had been so heavily bugged by the CIA, it cost the new owners $100,000 to remove them
5) John F Kennedy had a measured IQ of 129, putting him in the top 6% of the population. Marilyn had a measured IQ of 167, putting her in the top 0.2% of the population.
6) She loved listening to Beethoven
7) She owned a dog called Tippy
8) Hugh Hefner owns the burial vault next to hers
9) She was good at softball as a child
10) She wore glasses