The classic, quintessential film noir, which set the standard for all future noirs, DOUBLE INDEMNITY is to be released in the UK as part of Eureka’s MASTERS OF CINEMA Series on Blu-ray (Standard and SteelBook editions) on 25 June 2012.
We have three copies of the Blu-ray to give away!
“That’s a honey of an anklet you’re wearing, Mrs. Dietrichson.”*
Double Indemnity*is the dazzling, quintessential film noir whose enormous popular success and seven Oscar nominations catapulted Billy Wilder (Some Like It Hot, Sunset Boulevard, The Apartment) into the very top tier of Hollywood’s writer-directors. Adapted from a novella by James M. Cain*(The Postman Always Rings Twice),*co-written by Wilder and Raymond Chandler (The Big Sleep, The Long Goodbye), Double Indemnity remains the*hardest-boiled of delectations.
Insurance hawker Walter Neff (Fred MacMurray) gets seduced by some other man’s wife: a bored, sex-starved Barbara Stanwyck done up in lorry-grille wig and a pair of lips like wine grapes smashed in candle-wax. She wants to off her better half and collect on his policy, but spitfire claims-adjuster Barton Keyes (Edward G. Robinson) smells a rat – or at least the cheap perfume all over that Dietrichson file.
Neff himself ties up the twisting plot in a neat bow: “We were talking about automobile insurance, only you were thinking about murder. And I was thinking about that anklet.”
Nominated for seven Oscars at the 1945 Academy Awards: Best Picture, Best Director (Billy Wilder), Best Actress (Barbara Stanwyck), Best Screenplay (Wilder and Raymond Chandler), Best Cinematography (John F. Seitz), Best Score (Miklós Rózsa), Best Sound Recording (Loren Ryder). The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Billy Wilder’s Double Indemnity*for the first time anywhere in the world on Blu-ray, in a standard edition and a limited edition steelbook on 25 June 2012.
For your chance to win, first like us on Facebook… Already a fan? You can skip this part.
… and then email firstname.lastname@example.org with the e-mail header Double Indemnity. Make sure you leave your full name and address and that you are over the age of 15. Winners will be picked at random and notified in August.
• First-ever Blu-ray release anywhere in the world, exclusively restored
• #29 on the American Film Institute’s 2007 list of the best American films of all time
• Directed and co-written by legendary, multiple-Academy Award winner Billy Wilder (The Lost Weekend, Sunset Boulevard,*Some Like It Hot, The Apartment)
• Co-written by master hardboiled novelist Raymond Chandler (The Big Sleep, Farewell My Lovely, The Long Goodbye)
• The very first screen coupling of Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck (There’s Always Tomorrow)
• Exclusive new high-definition restoration, officially licensed from Universal Pictures
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hearing-impaired
• Shadows of Suspense — a 2006 documentary featuring film historians, directors, and authors discussing the making of Double Indemnity
• 1945 Screen Guild Theater radio adaptation of Double Indemnity, starring Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray
• The original theatrical trailer
• 36-PAGE BOOKLET featuring a 1976 interview by John Allyn with Billy Wilder; an extract from a 1976 interview with James M. Cain comparing his original serial with Wilder’s film adaptation; documentation of novelist and Double Indemnity co-screenwriter Raymond Chandler’s attitude toward working within the Hollywood studio system; an extract from the original screenplay depicting the excised “death chamber” ending; a note on the restoration; and rare archival imagery
Want to write about this topic and have your work read by thousands every day? Click here to become a contributor to WhatCulture.